To achieve your skin goals, your skincare routine should consist of multiple products. Some are essential, while others are optional to use. A true must-have and an enduring beauty trend in the world of beauty today is a serum. This product provides comprehensive skincare and helps address skin concerns. Let's talk about how to choose the best face serum and how to use it.
What is a Face Serum?
A serum is a product designed for intermediate care. Its main feature is its high concentration of active ingredients, reaching 65-70%. In creams, the concentration of active components is usually much lower, typically around 10-15%.
Serums have a liquid, lightweight consistency, which sometimes leads to confusion with fluids. However, a fluid is a light, semi-liquid cream, whereas a serum is a potent product with targeted action. It effectively addresses specific skincare problems and complements the primary skincare routine.
The main advantages of serums are quick absorption due to their light texture, concentrated formulation, and bioavailability, which means the skin almost fully absorbs the ingredients.
What is it used for?Why should you use a serum? It can address various skin concerns, such as:
- Regulating sebum production and balancing the skin.
- Treating hyperpigmentation, brightening the skin, and evening out its tone.
- Combatting acne and post-acne concerns.
- Deeply moisturizing and retaining moisture for a prolonged time.
- Fighting signs of aging: improving skin elasticity, smoothing wrinkles, lifting the facial contours, evening out the texture, and firming skin.
- Soothing, calming inflammations, reducing redness.
- Regenerating damaged cells and restoring the epidermal structure.
- Nourishing skin and providing it with essential nutrients and oxygen.
- Protecting against external environmental aggressors, such as ultraviolet radiation (which dries out the skin and triggers photoaging), adverse environmental conditions, and free radicals.
- Supporting pore cleansing and exfoliating dead skin cells.
- Minimizing enlarged pores.
- Strengthening the natural protective lipid layer.
Composition of SerumsSerums can contain various components, such as:
- Acids, for example, salicylic and glycolic acids. They gently and effectively exfoliate dead skin cells.
- Vitamin E; a powerful antioxidant that also moisturizes and nourishes tissues.
- Collagen; responsible for elasticity and firmness of the epidermis.
- Retinol (or retinoids); regenerates, softens, and rejuvenates the skin.
- Hyaluronic acid; helps retain moisture in skin cells and provides anti-aging effects.
- Peptides; slow down the aging process and restore skin elasticity.
- Zinc; effectively reduces inflammation and dries out pimples.
- Plant and fruit extracts such as green tea, chamomile, aloe, tea tree, and citrus. They combat inflammation, soothe, and nourish the skin.
Typically, serums include several active ingredients with similar or complementary properties.
Types of Face Serums
- Moisturizing serums: the most common type. They can be used regularly in both Winter and Summer when skin is most exposed to natural elements.
- Anti-aging serums: recommended for individuals over 25 years old or those with visible signs of aging, such as wrinkles and crow's feet.
- Antioxidant serums: slow down oxidative processes in the skin, promoting skin rejuvenation and preventing premature aging.
- Regenerating serums: aid in the skin's restoration and are effective against wrinkles, dark circles, and crow's feet.
- Brightening serums: designed to combat pigmentation issues.
- Sebum-regulating serums: regulate sebum production and can complement acne and blackhead treatments.
Although there are almost no serums specifically tailored to individual skin types, it's essential to consider the characteristics of your skin when making a your choice.
For dry, flaky skin, deep moisturization is essential. An ideal choice would be a moisturizing serum containing hyaluronic acid, ceramides, natural oils, and hydro-fixators like glycerin. Vitamins E, C, and B3 are also beneficial.
Skin type requires special care with a focus on moisturizing, sebum regulation, calming inflammation, and combatting breakouts. Serum may contain salicylic acid and anti-infalmmatory rich extracts such as chamomile & calendula.
Anti-aging serums with collagen promoting actives, AHA acids, hyaluronic acid, peptides, vitamin C, retinoids, oils, and tocopherol are suitable for mature skin. These ingredients promote a natural even tone, soften skin, deeply nourish and accelerate cellular metabolism.
Serums for oily skin should contain sebum-regulating, mattifying, and anti-inflammatory substances. These may include tea tree extract, cosmetic clay, acids, and zinc.
How to Apply your Face Serum?Use serums after standard cleansing and toning but before applying your moisturizer. Before regular use, conduct a patch test: apply a drop on your wrist. If everything is fine after half an hour, the product is suitable for you.
Apply your face serum as the following :
- Cleanse your skin with your regular cleanser
- Apply your elixir/ toner to complete the cleansing and balance skin's pH.
- Now, apply your serum to your palms, gently rub them together, and then press the product over your face.
- Move along the massage lines: from the center to the edges. Gently pat the serum into the skin with your fingertips. Avoid rubbing or patting too vigorously, and avoid the eye and lip areas. However, it's beneficial to apply the serum to the neck and décolleté.
- Wait for few minutes.
- Apply your usual moisturizing or nourishing cream.
- At what age should you start using a serum?
- You can begin using a serum around the age of 20-25. Before that, the skin usually doesn't require intensive care. As you age, you should change the serum to accommodate the specific needs of your skin.
How much serum should you apply to your skin?
Apply serums moderately. The concentration of active components is very high, so exceeding the dosage can overload the skin. Usually, 3-5 drops or one pea-sized amount (if the consistency is thick) is sufficient.
Do you need to rinse off the serum?
No, you do not need to rinse off the serum; it is fully absorbed and combines with the components of the subsequent cream. However, if you experience itching, redness, or a strong burning sensation after applying the serum, immediately rinse it off with water to prevent further allergic reactions.
How often can you use a serum?You can use a facial serum daily, either in the morning or evening, or even twice a day: after waking up and washing your face, and before sleep after removing makeup and cleansing your face. To see noticeable results, it's essential to be consistent.
Review of Serums Available in Our Online Store
RENEW Gentle Retinol Night Serum is a potent and gentle pro-aging serum that effectively targets visible signs of aging, minimizing wrinkles, and promoting even skin tone and texture. Enriched with whole-plant derived vitamin A, vegan encapsulated retinol, essential fatty acids, and ceramides, it keeps the skin barrier intact while providing deep hydration for a renewed youthful complexion.
Intensive Youth Concentrate is a versatile face oil that caters to all skin types. Handcrafted with care using 23 skin-loving ingredients, including botanical extracts and essential oils, it effectively rejuvenates, nourishes, and illuminates the skin, while reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
PLUMP Hyaluronic Acid Booster is a powerful hydrating formula crafted with clean, plant-derived hyaluronic acid and floral waters, such as lavender, rose, and violet leaf, to deeply nourish and rejuvenate the skin. Its gel-like texture dries to a matte finish, leaving your skin instantly plumped and dewy.
ILLUMINATE Vitamin C Booster is a potent brightening formula featuring a stable form of vitamin C, hyaluronic acid, and botanical extracts like white tea, green tea, olive leaf, rooibos, ginkgo, licorice, and biloba extracts. Packed with polyphenols, it effectively plumps the skin, promotes collagen biosynthesis, and neutralizes free radicals.
Antioxidant Protective Serum is a versatile face oil designed to nourish, protect, and calm the skin. Enriched with botanical ingredients rich in polyphenols, it effectively scavenges free radicals and offers anti-inflammatory properties, making it beneficial for skin lesions, rosacea, eczema, and skin rash.