The Power of Flowers: Calendula and it's Skin Benefits
Posted by Eman Tabbara, MPH on Jul 9th 2021
Flowers are the powerhouse of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. They are the source of inspiration in any botanical skincare product because they contain essential nutrients rich in anti-inflammatory and healing benefits. Calendula is our hero flower that deserves so much attention.
What is Calendula?
Calendula Officinalis known as Marigold is an aromatic annual plant which belongs to the Asteraceae (Compositae) family and is native to the Mediterranean area. It is widely spread all over the world and has been used for centuries as a medicinal herb in many cultures including Indian, Middle Eastern, Ancient Greek and Roman.
Major Skincare Wonders of Calendula
1. Soothing: It is no wonder why Calendula is marketed in skincare as a calming ingredient. It has been reported to improve inflammatory skin conditions due to its content of flavonoids and saponins which help accelerate skin healing and prevent tissue degeneration1.
2. Superior in Antioxidants: Calendula is rich in carotenoids and flavonoids known as antioxidants. Antioxidants help to neutralize free radicals that cause our skin to age faster. Therefore, it helps to boost production of proteins and collagen during the healing process balancing the skin and reducing irritation1.
3. Moisturizing: Calendula contains phenol acids, tannins, carotenoids and polysaccharides, it is superior in moisturizing properties known to help restore sensitive and dry skin.
4. Anti-Microbial: Calendula is known to help balance overgrowth of certain bacteria that cause skin issues such as dandruff and sometimes acne.
Plant Goodness of Calendula is All Yours
At Scentual Aroma, we harness the power of plants and science to provide you with result-driven and potent botanical skincare. We formulated several products that will bring you the benefits of Calendula both by extracting and infusing this flower of sunshine!
Our Beauty Balm combines whole flower infusion of Calendula which is designed to calm skin sensitivity, redness and promote collagen synthesis while nourishing the skin on a cellular level.
Our Intensive Youth Concentrate contains the flower extract to bring soothing, healing and protecting benefit to the skin.
Our Skin Repair Balm helps to improve skin elasticity, softness and restore integrity of skin barrier function. Using infused Calendula for 6-8 weeks to bring most of this plant's constituents.
1. Ukiya M, Akihisa T, Yasukawa K et al. Anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor-promoting, and cytotoxic activities of constituents of pot marigold (Calendula officinalis) flowers. (2006). J Nat Prod. 69:1692-1696