Lavender is an evergreen shrub grown mostly in northern Africa and the Mediterranean. It got its name from the Latin word lavare meaning, "to wash". The name comes from old habits of ancient Greeks and Romans who used to add the Lavender flowers to their baths to help purify their skin.
The most widely cultivated species is Lavandula angustifolia. Lavender aroma is calming, relaxing and balancing. However, there is more to this plant that meets the eye, or in this case the nose. The plant is grown mainly for the production of essential oil, which comes from the distillation of the flower spikes. Lavender essential oil is the most versatile of all essential oils. It has cosmetic uses and is believed to have some medicinal uses also. It is added to bath and body care products, such as soaps and perfume.
Some of the many benefits of Lavender are:
- Antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and insect repellent properties
- Anti stress, mood improving and restful sleep promoting
- Antifungal, helps with nail infections
- Helps form scar tissues which is essential in healing wounds and burns
- Soothes insect bites and itchy skin
- Treats various skin disorders, like acne, eczema and psoriasis
- It can be used as a natural perfume
- It helps protect against sunburns
- Helps reduce age spots and fine lines & wrinkles
- Fights dandruff and promotes hair growth
At Scentual Aroma, we provide a wide range of lavender containing products. Click the link below to see them all in one place: